Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010: A year in Review

Well since this is my first blog of the new year, I figured I begin by highlighting the events of last year:

January 2010: This month began with me going back to college. I took Anatomy and Human Growth and Development through the Lifespan---both classes were great and I enjoyed the content of each. Of course, going to a community college may be a bit easier than attending a big name university such as UW-Madison, but it was overall a good experience. Also in January, Emma Elizabeth turned 1. We celebrated by having loved ones come and celebrate at our house in normal Van Horn party fashion!

February 2010: We took the girls to see Disney on Ice which was a big hit. The only thing Lily could not get over was that Sleeping Beauty was not present---all of the other princesses were there but not her!

March 2010: We took a family road trip adventure to Florida. We drove the entire way non-stop and made it to Daytona Beach where we stayed at a hotel for a night and enjoyed the beach for a couple of days. We then made our way to St. Augustine to see the Fort there. Chris was hoping the girls would be much more enthused about the old stone fort than they were. However, we got to experience some cannon firings which made the admission charge semi-worth it. After St. Augustine, we headed to Blue Springs State (National??) Park to camp. And by camp, I mean really set up camp, you know with a tent and grilling over an open fire type of thing. We found our campsite and began to set up camp, of course it then poured rain down on our lovely not-so cheap tent which apparently was not at all water-proof.  The best part about Blue Springs was seeing the Manatees that come to winter there before heading out to sea. The water, I'm told, stays pretty warm all year round, so they come to nest there. The worst part about the whole camping experience was the soaked tent and blankets and bedding which did not dry out by night time. Also, forest rangers are pretty strict about what products can be burned. (on a side-note, husband's listen to your wives....because when they say, I don't think you should be burning that, they probably are right....just saying....) Since we froze that first night camping, we decided to pay Christopher's uncle Denny a visit and crash at his place for the remainder of our trip. We then spent only 1 day at Disney World---Magic Kingdom in particular. But we made the most out of it. We got there at like 10 am and stayed until 10 pm! Hey, if you knew the cost of admission you'd be staying all day too. The kids had a fun and the only thing Lily was upset about was not being able to get a picture with Sleeping Beauty....oh well there's always next time. The rest of the trip, we spent relaxing in a retirement community and enjoying the warmer climate.

April 2010: I took my second quarter worth of classes. Medical terminology(web-based) and Nurse Aid training were the courses of choice. I'd say both of these classes were laughable and made me want to poke my eyes out or bang my head against the wall every day of class. The only highlight of that darn nurse aid class was clinicals. We got to do some hands-on experience and take care of people in a nursing home oh I mean long-term care facility. The best part was interacting with them and hearing about their lives.

May-July 2010: Nothing seems to really stand out during these months. The children and I had some outings with the girls from work and their children. We had our annual Red, white and boom party which had some new people in attendance--but missed some of our regulars.

August 2010: Christopher and I celebrated our 6th year wedding anniversary. Yes, that is 6 years of marital bliss that we celebrated---and going strong.

September 2010: Found me contemplating my life goals again and readjusting my school schedule to better fit what I want to do with my life. I took a course called Marriage and Family Relations and thoroughly enjoyed it. This quest led me to think that I'd like to pursue a career in counseling and has me currently looking into Master's programs that offer such a degree.

October 2010:  This month had the Van Horn clan making yet another road trip. This time to Texas for my brother John's wedding to Margo. Both of my beautiful daughters were flower girls (and did a fabulous job) and the husband was groomsman. We had a great time and the kids loved playing with their cousins! This month also saw my Badgers beat the #1 ranked Buckeyes, which I'd say was the highlight of college football season for me. Also in October, we celebrated Lillian Grace's 4th birthday in true princess fashion. We had a wonderful Princess Party in which we encouraged guests to dress as royalty. She loved it and I cannot believe she is 4!



November 2010: Nothing really stands out except the fact that the husband dropped his beloved iphone 4 in the toilet which caused us to fork out some more money so the genius could get a new one! I worked Thanksgiving but got done early so I could still enjoy some Turkey and mashed potatoes with family.

December 2010: This month was welcomed with my birthday, on the 1st, and the husband's on the 4th. We had a "party" at our house for my birthday where we played a game called BezzerWizzer---that I still cannot believe my team lost. Chris' birthday was celebrated at his parents house, where Marissa and I created a game of charades that was all about Christopher. We also went to "How Many Kings" concert, with Alli Rogers, DownHere and Mark Schultz. It was amazing! This month also was when the pediatrician could get Lily in for her 4 year check-up---and they made her pee in a cup!! At 4!! Seriously, that was an experience for me, let me tell you! At this appointment, she got her ears pierced as part of her Christmas present. Let's just say, I hope she is not severely traumatized. Also, this was the first time in 3 years, I have been able to go home for Christmas. We drove to Wisconsin and spent about 5 days visiting family and celebrating Christmas. It was a wonderful time. The end of the month had Lily getting her hair cut because I got my cut. Her hair is adorable---but we have lost her curls in the back!  New Year's Eve we celebrated at a hotel room where I let Lily's friend Kate come and stay with us. We had a good time and giggling girls are fun!



January 2011: This year could definitely started out better---my Badgers could have won the rose bowl, but alas they fell short. However, on an up note, the Packers made the playoffs--so here's hoping for the best! This coming weekend, we are having a Dora themed party for Emma's birthday which is actually the 10th. Life is good for us in Ohio and I hope that is wonderful for all of you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment